Chiropractic on ‘Back’ at Work
Advice from the British Chiropractic Association on the perfect PC posture …
Whether at home, at work or on the move, more of us are spending large parts of our day using a computer,whether it be a laptop or sitting at our desk.
By sitting and concentrating on the screen for so long, we may not be aware that our position may bet harmful to the spine. To help combat this and protect our backs whilst sitting, the British Chiropractic Association has some advice to keep in mind at the start of each working week:
On the move:
– Make time to check your bag/briefcase each day for items you won’t need. Paperwork quickly accumulates and additional weight in your bag is extra weight that your shoulders and back have to bear.
– Use a rucksack design laptop case, carry it on both shoulders and adjust the straps so that the bag is held close to your back.
– If you are on the train and must use your laptop, don’t sit for long periods as you are looking down onto the screen with your head unsupported.
At your desk:
– Always take the time to adjust your chair when you start working at a new location. This includes adjusting your desk height. Sadly Scandinavian countries tend to have this facility more than we do.
– Your seat should be adjusted so that your feet are flat on the ground, your knees bent to 90º but with a slope from your hips to your knees. You should end up with your hips higher than your knees and your eyes level with the centre of the computer screen.
– Relax when sitting into your chair, making sure you have your bottom against the seat back and your shoulder blades are touching the back rest of the chair.
– Arms should be flat and your elbows level with the desk or table you are using. Use a seat with arm rests.
– Take regular breaks. Never sit at the computer for more than 40 minutes; less if possible. When you take a break, walk around and stretch a little; do something completely different.
– Remove any obstacles from under your desk to ensure you have enough leg room.
– Never sit and twist your back to use a laptop.
We're Here To Help You ...
From the Team at Hounslow Family Chiropractic Clinic
Serving the Hounslow community including
Brentford, Feltham, Twickenham, Uxbridge, Hayes and Isleworth