Firstly, protect your neck! Your neck is the bridge connecting your brain to your body and your well-being!
“Text neck” – (also known as military neck) is a term used recently and commonly for a repetitive stress injury and “excessive” texting on your mobile, tablet, used to be the primary cause. The “text neck” describes the position of the head and neck leaning forward with rounded shoulders. This is due to the loss or decease of your cervical curve (lordosis). This process takes many years to develop possibly over ten plus years for this to occur when there is a repetitive stress injury. Sometimes the cervical curve can go into reverse (kyphosis).
Causes of a “text neck” can be from too many hours on the computer, uses of too high pillow(s), occupational repetitive stress, excessive weightlifting at the gym, poor posture, driving too long and accidents. This causes excessive wear and tear to the joints, discs, tendons, ligaments, pressure on the nerves.
The common sings and symptoms associated with “text neck” are:
- Pain in the neck, upper back and shoulder with an intense stabbing, achiness, soreness in a specific place or in a more generalized area.
- Poor head and shoulder posture – causing an imbalance.
- Headaches and/or migraines – excessive looking at a computer screen, tablet or mobile phone increases eyestrain and neck muscles go into spasm causing pain.
- Cervical radiculopathy – symptoms of electric shock-like pain, pins-and-needles tingling, numbness in the arm or fingers, burning sensations.
- Enhanced wear and tear of the joints in the cervical spine causing various stages of spinal degeneration.
- Jaw pain – caused by cervical spine misalignments and muscle spasm.
- Balance issues – head and neck forward posture reduce balance control.
- Dowager’s hump – on the base of the neck.
Treatment of the “text neck”
Y-strap treatment works – by decompressing the spinal cord + get pressure of the joints and nerves. It reduces symptoms of headaches/migraines, neck and shoulder pain, numbness, tingling, especially with discs involvements, improving posture and balance.
Do not delay! Call our office today and book an appointment to restore good health and well-being! You deserve it!
Written by Lisa D.